Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The one with the story of us, and also SITCOMS LIE.

My husband is the youngest of 10 (8 living), 10 nieces and nephews, and twice as many "Extended" family members (close family friends) and THEIR kids. This can make for an...overwhelming meeting to say the least.

When my husband and I first started dating he was actually stationed in Iraq. We met through mutual friends (his best friend that he met in boot camp and was stationed with the 101st Airborne in Kentucky went to high school with me) and decided around January of 2008 (after many long hours of online talking, Skyping and late-night rushed phone calls from Iraq) to bite the bullet and "be" together... as much as you can across the world. I had not met his family (he was from North Carolina) or his friends, other then his best friend. Intimidating? Yes... but we both knew we really liked each other and we wouldn't let minor details like not knowing family or being in separate countries stop us. Again... this is typical of us.

SO fast forward to May of 2008, Tim was given his mid-tour leave and we planned to spend as much of the 2 weeks together as possible. It just so happened that he flew home on his birthday (April 26) which was the Saturday before finals (I was in college at the time--finishing up my Junior year) so I had to stay put at school. Which by the way was Ball State--home of the Garfield creator and David Letterman... and Oprah's "husband" Stedman. Does your school have those kinds of claims to fame? Yep... didn't think so! Anyway... when I finished my last test, I would fly to NC to spend a week there. After I met all his family/friends, we would fly back up to Indiana to meet all MY family and friends. It undoubtedly would be exhausting, but since his 15 month tour wouldn't be up until January of 2009, we decided it was important to get this part done with while we could.

If you caught that last part, you probably realized that he had yet to meet my family... aka my mom and dad. I am one of two pride and joys (and pain in asses :)) for my parents, and they TEND to be a little...protective. Not in a overbearing manner, just, we will definitely let you know how we feel about this and we do not approve kind of manner. They did not like the fact that I was flying to see him first before they met him. My mom had visions of the Craigslist killer (who serves in the Army in his spare time, and who's father is a preacher) whisking me away to some slum in North Carolina. It took many months to convince her and my dad (we won't even TOUCH the threats he gave!) that I would not be killed by a psycho killer in flying to NC first. I don't even USE Craigslist, MOM!

Well, I finished finals and headed to NC to see Tim, all the while promising my parents I would call the second I landed and stay on the phone with them until I met up with Tim and THEN hand the phone to Tim so he could very awkwardly reassure them I was alright before we even got to hug. Yes. That was fun. SO we got my bags and headed towards his hometown (Fayetteville, NC--home of Fort Bragg) so I could meet the clan.

One word to sum that all up: overwhelming. By the end of the first day I had broken down into tears because I had met 3 sisters, 4 "extended" sisters, two parents, 5+ nieces and nephews, all while juggling their daily adventures (someone's softball game, going to his parents house before running errands, etc) and it was just...overwhelming. They were a big, noisy, intimidating bunch, but there was so much love between all of them, I felt envious. And also... worried. Because I realized how comfortable Tim was with the children especially... and I am, shall we say, awkward around them.

Despite what my college roommate Beth will tell you, I really do LIKE children. Ok, ok, I might've made comments to her along those lines with the caveat "when they are behaved" but only because otherwise I have no idea how to interact with them! I was the youngest grandchild on my mom's side, so growing up I WAS the child. My dad's family had a couple kids younger then me, but they live in Chicago and Kansas, so we didn't get to see them often. And like I said earlier, I was one of two, just my older sister and myself. So... awkwardness ensued when around children.

BUT going back to children... I just need more time with them for me to feel less awkward--I'm sure of it (gulp)! I always wanted kids, I imagined Tim and I would have kids... and now, suddenly we are.

I haven't thought a lot about the months to come. I'm still trying to juggle how I'm going to take off work (my boss jokingly told me that early March wouldn't work for him, could I wait until May?) because we've got two huge exercises planned in March and April, and I'm actually the lead planner for the one in March. And my due date is March 9. So yes... I'm still trying just to figure out the schedule at work, let alone what will actually happen when I'm OFF work!

I do have to say though, that I have two of the BEST bosses to have right now. My immediate boss is a grandpa, who is months out from retirement, and enjoys telling the world about my pregnancy, because he is just so happy for me. The other boss (above him) is expecting his third child with his new wife, who also works with us, and they had their wedding a couple months after Tim and I, so we got to swap all our wedding planning stories and now we get to swap pregnancy stories. SO on this note, the pregnancy is going very well... again, couldn't ask for a better situation.

And its pretty good that they're so understanding because I have to tell you folks, the last 5 weeks have been BAD. Like... I feel irrational anger at Aunt Becky from Full House because she did not warn me what I would be facing BAD!

Now, when you see a movie or a TV show with a pregnant lady, it shows her running to the bathroom to throw up, making pithy comments about morning sickness, and then she is always in the next scene bright eyed and sunny and fine. AND THAT IS WRONG PEOPLE. When one of my favorite movies of all time was on TV Sunday on Lifetime, Father of the Bride II, I was SO HAPPY, I LOVE that movie! Then, they show the scene when Annie is pregnant in her first trimester, and they are arguing about the name of the baby, and she's sitting at the dinner table happily enjoying the meal, I actually called her a liar. Not just... you know... in my head. Out loud, to the TV, I called a fictional character a liar. That is the kind of hormonal craziness they do  not show you. And also, they don't show when your two dogs start judging you because they look at you and I'm pretty sure they are saying "who are you talking to mom? You have not said any of the words we enjoy such as walk, treat or daycare. Also, you are angry. We don't understand anger, where is it coming from? Are you mad at us mom?"
WE ARE JUDGING YOU! (or Sleeping)


And clearly, the fact that I typed that out, shows to my level of crazy.

Its not so much the bloating or fatigue that gets to me. Its not even the LOVELY constipation that NO ONE warns you about. Its not even the occasional throwing up that gets me. It's the non-stop, all day, can't get out of bed or concentrate on anything because I'm so consumed with this overwhelming nausea that gets me.

I have found little things here and there that seem to help, and all these coping mechanisms (peppermint candies, ice chips, lemonade, potato chips, saltines, water, sea bands accupressure wrist bands) seem to get me through the day. Its not pleasant, and I'm shocked at my own work ethic these days, but everyone has been really understanding. And poor Tim who was sent out one night to BUY ME SPAGHETTIOS... they are all that sound good right now and for the love of GOD I haven't eaten a full meal in about 3 weeks NEED SPAGHETTIOS and also Eggos while you're out please. So Tim buys the entire shelf (kid you not--it takes up half of a cabinet) because he doesn't know what will help but just wants to make the crazy lady stop!

So Tim  (Even though you don't read this and am probably appalled I'm spilling the beans)... thank you for dealing with Crazy right now. Everyone says it gets better in the second trimester.  But then again, this is the same "everyone" that doesn't tell you about all these other symptoms until you mention it and then its "oh yeah, I did deal with that" (MOM)... and also the same people that write lying sitcoms and movies.

So. Our Little Green Olive continues its journey...

3 comments:

  1. First off, thanks for calling me out in your blog... I'll read it as a shout out instead! And secondly, this is so entertaining! Having been beside you along the way, it's great to think about all the wild adventures that got us to where we are today! Keep up the writing, it gives me a reason to slack off at work for a bit =) Love you!

    ReplyDelete