Monday, August 29, 2011

The one where I return

Ok... OK.. I KNOW! I know I said I would update this (fairly) regularly and...clearly... lately I have not. I apologize but I really do have good reasons for it!

Reason 1) I got a new job! I'm still with my agency, and actually in the same office AREA but I'm switching divisions and I'm upgrading from my cubicle world to my own office... with a door and everything! We'll work on the window thing later...

Reason 2) Tim has been blowing the Army away with his mad skills and has been in a flurry of boards. First he had to go to the "NCO (Non-commissioned Officer) of the Quarter" board for his battalion (in recruiting world, his battalion is Indianapolis--which covers all of Indiana and all of Illinois). He kicked serious butt on that board so he got sent to the NCO of the Year board for his battalion next, and again kicked butt. So they informed him with 3 days notice that he would next be sent to Fort Knox, KY for NCO of the Year for his Brigade (which covers the entire midwest). So that is where Tim left for yesterday, and where he'll be until Thursday. If he wins this one he goes to the NCO of the Year board for ALL of Army Recruiting. Kind of a big deal... and maybe I like to brag a little :)

Reason 3) I was dog-sitting for my friend Chelsea while she was in fabulous Jamaica so my week was spent in a little limbo between my house and hers in the evenings.

SO its been very hectic but I am back!

And good news! I'M OFFICIALLY IN MY SECOND TRIMESTER! YAYYYYY!!


Bet you though the pregnancy symptoms would disappear or at least ease up? ME TOO! Guess What? The little PEACH (3 in long) is still working up a flurry of excitement over here! The latest development... LACTOSE INTOLERANCE! Yes, apparently you CAN grow back into it (as I thought I got rid of this at age 5) and so goes all your dreams of ice cream induced comas and cheese-filled quesadillas. THANKS PEACH!


Now for the normal person, they would diligently cut out all lactose products from their diet, right? Well I went out and bought sherbert, and I had Tim wander the aisles of Wal-mart searching for something called SOY MILK--as he cringes as he asks the sales lady where it was. But these were the easy changes... the real hardship comes with CHEESE. Because suddenly, everything I've ever wanted to eat most in the universe, contains CHEESE. That salad I eat? Cheese. Those muffins--cheese strudel. Everything on the Taco Bell/ Qdoba menu that I crave now on an almost hourly basis--CHEESE.

Its a cruel, cruel world this little peach is coming into!

BUT hopefully I will figure out a way around this. Mostly it just gives me the most irritating heartburn and acid reflux known to man (have you ever felt like there is ground beef stuck in your throat? When I have dairy it is that feeling 24/7). Luckily Prevacid seems to help a lot (and is safe for pregnancy--thank you for the small miracles!!).

We have also realized that now that I'm in my second trimester, and able to you know, eat, I should NEVER EVER BE ALLOWED TO GO GROCERY SHOPPING ALONE EVER AGAIN for the following reasons:

1) I forget all sense of "meals" when wandering through those glorious aisles and instead pick out things that alone seem delicious, but tend to be ONE part of a normal person's meal. Let's look at strawberry jam for instance. Most people would at least buy bread with this and put it on toast, if not peanut butter also and make a sandwich. I however, had a huge urge to just take a spoon and eat the jam out of the jar. Yes, clearly that is healthy/normal.

2) I buy things that have zero nutritional value at all. My recent trip? Brownie mix, three boxes of toaster strudles, chocolate chip cookies, and jello mouse-pudding among other equally nutritious things. Please explain how my baby is craving a certain nutrition from any of that!?

3) I tend to ignore prices in search of things to satisfy said cravings. Again, witness the fact that that shopping trip to include the brownie mix and a few other items, making a total of two grocery bags, came out to be a whopping $53.00! I still have no idea how I managed to do that. Before I could get an entire week's meals for that amount--lets not even talk about how much of that brownie mix/toaster struddles/cookies are left after 3 days.


So... looking back at all this I clearly should not be left alone with a purse in a store that sells food. And as we saw earlier, Tim's idea of grocery shopping is picking up packages of Ramen noodles in mass quantities.

So little peach, thank God we have family dinners at grandma and grandpa's house on Sunday nights. Otherwise, I think you might pop out with a Taco Bell wrapper around your little body.

1 comment:

  1. I became lactose intolerant at 21, it was pretty horrifying for the first year. Now I carry lactaid pills around with me everywhere but still think twice every time someone offers me dairy. Hopefully you will be right with the dairy world after the baby comes

    ReplyDelete